[hpsdr] PowerSDR alternatives?

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sat Jul 10 23:24:51 PDT 2010

On Jul 10, 2010, at 11:14 PM, Terry Fox wrote:

>   Nope, I don't think openHPSDR is tied to any OS-specific drivers.  Other than Microsoft-specific hosing of the USB protocol, the same calls should work on both OS's libusb.

I can tell you authoritatively that it's not.  MacHPSDR doesn't use libusb for its USB communication, it uses IOKit.  Using IOKit means that there are no drivers required for the Mac whatsoever.

I believe there are also versions of PowerSDR (or KK) that were developed to use WinUSB because of the issues that we had with the signing of the 64-bit libusb drivers.

Honestly, the docs are written fairly well, and if you pay attention to them, it isn't a big deal to access the USB data.  The largest problems that I found were just getting the firmware loader to work correctly and to make sure that the USB is serviced in a timely manner.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com