[hpsdr] Potential New openHPSDR Project

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sun Jul 11 06:48:15 PDT 2010

Phil:

I agree that the little "motherboard" that plugs a BeagleBoard into
Atlas should be the
first priority.  Just keep the software layered so we can change
interfaces later.

As far as a PC versus a remote dedicated processor...
The overwhelming advantage of a PC is an amazingly low cost for an
integrated processor,
display, keyboard, peripherals, processing resources, etc.

It is just that the more I learn, Windows is a horrible realtime
environment.  Microsoft
would probably say that it is not realtime, and was not intended to be
used that way.

So either we figure out how to get Windows to behave the way we want it
to, or
we allow for a signal processing resource that is separate, and use the
PC as a
thin client GUI.

For instance, even with the BeagleBoard, it will still be cheaper to use
a notebook/netbook/
laptop/low-end-desktop as the human interface, rather than come up with
a custom
set of keyboard/pointer-thing/display/touchscreen/audio system, etc.

Just my thoughts on where we need to head.

--- Graham

==