[hpsdr] In the Spirit of experimenters

Luke Steele mail10 at barefoothorse.com.au
Mon Jul 12 22:51:21 PDT 2010

At 01:54 AM 13/07/2010 +0000, you wrote:

>Someone noted that HPSdr seemed to be very expensive

For what it is, I consider the HPSDR to be very reasonably priced indeed.
It is a bit hard to simply compare this type of radio with any particular
commercial offering, and say that the HPSDR is equivalent or superior to
XXX model rig on the market today, but what I'm seeing so far is quite
stunning.
Consider that it is leading-edge technology, with the attractiveness of
homebrew (for those who like to build, that is).
I looked at PicaStar, but was completely put off by the complexity of the
assembly required. For what I paid for the three complex boards in HPSDR to
be assembled and tested and ready to go, I saved in countless hours of
microsopic work.
The rest of the assembly and integration was well within my capability, and
it wasn't long before I had a working radio on air.
I have plenty of nice (old-fashioned)20th Century, Superheterodyne rigs
here, so I decided that if I was to get another radio, it would be
completely different. And that, the HPSDR surely is!
Vy 73,
Luke VK3HJ
mainly CW op