[hpsdr] hardware question ( Mercury HPSDR)

Gediminas Kasparaitis kaunas69 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 16 22:53:15 PDT 2010

Hello all,

I need more help ;-)

I'm interested in how PowerSDR screen looks on others computers with
with antenna disconnected.

Here is my test ( demonstration):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zkoTY3CESJs

I did put on heatsinks on A/D, they are nice, but I believe that noise
increased after that ( I played in the park for few hours, listened to
VP5/W5CW pileup)...,
later  I removed them, noise is the same (elevated)...not going down.

Heatsinks cool chip efectively....

. I don't know, I don't want blame power supply,
before I also tried with ATX power supply....I guess that LPU is OK,
I would rather suspect AD... or something on the Mercury board ( preamp?)

Otherwise it works, but it seems to me somewhat too noisy ?
I'm in Columbus OH, is here anyone who would like to compare Mercury boards?

73, Gedas, nx2px
...that A/D is expensive...cheapest I saw at newark.com...something over 130
USD for
-40 - 85 C version, don't want to do expensive "science" yet.