[hpsdr] MIDI

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 18:53:43 PDT 2010

I did recommend a Korg nano.   I've seen them in the stores.  well
"nano" is a good description.  They are small.   So some other options
are...

(2) If you like the feel of a big tunning knob then look at some of
the large sized controls used by DJ.  The controls simulate turn
tables and have the same USB MIDI or controllers designed for video
editing.  The editing controls are nice.  They will have a 3" weighted
knob with a detent for your finger and they spin and there is a
concentric spring loaded self centering ring around it used for fast
forward and reverse.   Several companies make these

(3) a real nice one is the Apple iPod.  There is at least one app that
will display a customizable set of controls (sliders, knobs) and then
you move them with your fingers the the iPad sends MIDI over it's WiFi
connection.  It would be a kind of wireless remove for your SDR.
http://www.synthtopia.com/content/2010/03/21/midipad-ipad-midi-controller/
Same software runs on iPhone but the larger size of the iPad makes it
practical.    These of course are not "real" controls but they seem
like them because you move them with your fingers on the touch screen.

The neat thing is that your software will never know which device you
are using, your home brew or the korg or the iPad.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 2:29 PM,  <lstoskopf at cox.net> wrote:

> The Korg nanoKONTROL USB Controller is available on Amazon for about $44 with free shipping.  Looks of cheaper construction than the Griffin knobs, but lots of functionality and software available.
>
> Quite frankly, I getting used to being without knobs!
>
> N0UU

=====
Chris Albertson
Redondo Beach, California