[hpsdr] HPSDR Front Panel

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Mon Jul 19 19:10:34 PDT 2010

If I were planning to mass produce a controller I'd go with that kind
of PIC based design because I'd want to reduce my recrring costs.  But
if I were building just one controller I'd invest and extra $200 in a
higher powered processor so I could greatly reduce my engineering
time.

With the higher priced CPU you can run Linux or Unix and then have use
"standard" development tools and these is no shortage of MIDI software
that you could use.  Also the end product could have features like a
self hosts web site for configuration (almost all small routers have
this.)   I'd move up from the Pic to something at least like the Arm
that is found is many routers and many moble devices.

On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 1:02 PM, Henry Vredegoor
<henry.vredegoor at gmail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> This has come up a few times.   I think the very best way to do this
>> is to build your pannel some that is uses MIDI protocol.   The reason
>> for this is so you and others can leverage existing software.
>>
>> What I mean is you want to avoid the problem where your pannel and
>> (say) my pannel each requie different software interface.  If al our
>> pannels could use the same software then the state of that software
>> could avance much faster.
>>
>> Also with MIDI those who don't want to build their ownhardware can buy
>> nice looking control pannels already built like these:
>>
>> (1) Korg nanoKONTROL USB Controller
>> This has 10 rotary enconders, sliders and 20 push puttons and has USB
>> connection.  Sells for $65.
>>
>> Here is another example
>> (2) http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/OmniControl/
>> All of those controls you see in the photo as "asignable" to whatever
>> functions you want.  Connects to computer with USB
>>
>> Yes you can design and build your own but PLEASE follow existing
>> standards and make your new panel work like all the existing ones.
>>
>> If I were starting a project like this I'd rush out and buy a $65 Korg
>> Nana controller so that I could start on the software and not have to
>> wait for hardware to be done.  It is very hard to develope both
>> hardware and software at the same time because both will be buggy for
>> a long time.  It is well worth $65 to have known-to-work hardware for
>> software development.
>>
>> If you do use this standard then you inherit a whole world of
>> infrastructure for transporting and routing control data over networks
>> and for recording, editing and display of the data and also
>>
>> On Mon, Jul 19, 2010 at 5:31 AM, Boris Njegic<boris.njegic at gmail.com>
>>  wrote:
>>

>>> ***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List *****
>>>

>>> Hi,
>>> I have just finished modification of my FT-450 (www.9a9.me) so now I have
>>> time to go for next project. I would like to make front panel for my HPSDR
>>> setup.
>>> My current setup is Atlas, Penny,PennyWhistler, Mercury, Ozy, 100W
>>> amplifier, homemade tx/rx switch and waiting for Alex boards and Hermes to
>>> be finished.
>>> PC is ASRock ION 330 atom miniITX.
>>> Wish list for now is:
>>> 1. Front panel will be a mix of functionality between IC7800 and FT5000
>>> (Large front panel with as much direct calling of SDR functions)
>>> 2. Some functions will be added regarding SDR specifics.
>>> 3. There will be two large dials - first (5.5cm) for VFO A and second
>>> (4cm) for VFO B (Or if you like for first and second receiver)
>>> 4. 7" Touch screen LCD
>>> 5. Only some specific functions will be implemented only on touch screen.
>>> All other primary (operating) functions will be invocable with push buttons
>>> or dials.
>>> 6. Front panel dimensions will be cca 425mm X 135mm
>>> 7. It will interface with PC as standard USB keyboard
>>> 8. Headphone connector.
>>> 9. Keyer connector.
>>> 10. Mic connector
>>> 11. 3 or 4 USB hub connectors on front panel
>>> 12. Dial for lower filter cutoff freq and Dial for Upper filter cutoff
>>> freq.
>>> 13. Cw speed dial
>>> 14. ....
>>> Is there something I should take special care of? Remember this is my
>>> first post about this so I am collecting ideas :-)
>>> I am not EE so I will try to build this from parts that are posible to
>>> get on internet or other sources.
>>> Regards,
>>> Boris
>>> 9A5ATY