[hpsdr] TAPR Kits

AA8K73 GMail aa8k73 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 1 06:10:14 PDT 2010

Hi Harry,

For receiving on HF, you would probably want to
have bandpass filtering, hence the Alexiares
project.

For transmitting, the Alexiares provides a low-pass
filter for up to 100 watts, I think, and antenna
switching.

Both Mercury and Penelope have on-board oscillators.
Excalibur has an on-board TCXO with better performance
than the Mercury or Penelope oscillators.

For the obsessed, Excalibur can take an external sine
or square wave 10 MHz signal, squares the wave shape,
and injects it into the Atlas bus.  This can be from
a GPS Disciplined Oscillator or atomic standard.
I use a Trimble Thunderbolt GPSDO and can measure
in the tenths of a Hertz for FMTs.  The Mercury,
due the limited number of bits involved and some
manipulations inside the down conversion scheme,
the actual frequency will be some fraction of a
Hertz different from the indicated frequency,
so it takes some interpretation.

Mike - AA8K