[hpsdr] My horribly silly questions

K1rqg at aol.com K1rqg at aol.com
Mon Jun 14 12:05:14 PDT 2010

My comments inserted below.

de Joe K1RQG

In a message dated 6/14/2010 2:10:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
wraithx at yahoo.com writes:

***** High Performance Software Defined Radio Discussion List  *****

Hello folks,

I've been reading along the list for a while.  I stumbled upon hpsdr by
chance when I wondered what TAPR was up to these  days. Doing google searches,
youtube searches, I saw some of the different  things people do with
software defined radio.

I have been seriously  considering putting something together and thought I
would ask a few  questions. I would first like to ask if an OpenHPSDR rig
would be suitable as  a primary radio?

[K1RQG]

The long answer is "YES"! I had the benefit of starting with HPSDR back
when just OZY and
JANUS were offered as and alternative control and AD/DA for the Flex
SDR-1000, and have
progressed since then. Prior to HPSDR being available, I had scavenged  a
PA module from
a discarded FT-747 (found in a trash can!). I integrated this with  the
SDR-1000 to attain 100W
out and the low pass filters and tx/rx were included.

You can find deals on failed radios and rescue the PA and even if it is
smoked, repair is very
inexpensive.

I have since progressed through the evolution of the HPSDR to the point
now that I still run
the same HF PA but with all the TAPR or NT supplied boards. I have a
separate system that I
use for a VHF/UHF IF system and .5 w is more than enough to drive  28 Mhz
to 144/xxxx
transverters.  The only drawback to my main HF system is the fact  that the
HF amp is only
good to 30 Mhz. My plan is to switch at the .5 w level to Pennywhistle  and
drive a 3cx-800
amp on 6 meters.

****

Also, and I feel really silly for asking this. I noticed the  Mercury and
Penelope boards each have their respective antenna connections.  Growing up
in the age of fancy Japanese transceivers, I was wondering how  people hooked
up to the same antenna?

[K1RQG]

Just consider them separate transmitter and receiver and add your own T/R
relay. Very simple
at low levels. NT Electronics sells a T/R switch with or without a 6  meter
preamp. There are so
many options available it is hard to include them all.

****

I have many more questions, but wording them in a language  that a human
can decipher tends to be a bit tricky. I started writing this  several hours
ago, walked away, came back and hacked it to pieces.

[K1RQG]

Please continue to ask questions about this exciting venture. It may  sound
overwhelming at first,
but after a while it will start to make sense. I have worked with many
different configurations of
the HPSDR project and I do use it as my primary radio on HF & 432 Mhz  &
1296 Mhz EME.

****

HPSDR Discussion  List
To post msg: hpsdr at openhpsdr.org