[hpsdr] My horribly silly questions

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Mon Jun 14 13:30:44 PDT 2010

Welcome to the reflector Dwayne,

Your specific questions have already been addressed item by item.  That
said, what you didn't ask is how "possible" is building an HPSDR station?
HPSDR is not for the faint of heart.  The systems and concepts are advanced
and require a basic capability with electronics radio construction and test.
This is not a kit in the usual sense.  The support and expert knowledge to
help a constructor complete a project is available via this reflector, and
the Document and WIKI sections of the HPSDR website.  Without experience, it
would be painful and discouraging to start an HPSDR project and end up
halting, asking questions at every step of the way, making mistakes, fixing
mistakes, and on and on.

If you want to get your feet wet, I'd recommend that you start with the
Atlas backplane, a Mercury receiver, an ATX power supply and the appropriate
Power
SDR software.  The assembly and set up is relatively simple.  You'll get up
to speed with the software and the basic high performance receiver at a
relatively low cost.  The receiver with Power SDR software will blow your
socks off.  A great place to start.  As you learn and want to transmit using
HPSDR, then you can graduate into the deeper end of the pool with Penelope
and all the rest.

I am one of those that is using the HPSDR system as my primary and only HF
rig.  It was necessary to build a system, construct preamplifiers, RF
amplifiers, filters, etc. to make it a "rig".  Am still fiddling with it,
but boy do I love it.

Regards,
John, W7FU