[hpsdr] Announcement of a CudaSharpDSP package for HPSDR: doing parallel DSP processing on your GPU

Hermann hvh.net at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 00:24:41 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 1:00 AM, Jeremy McDermond
<mcdermj at xenotropic.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the update Hermann.  It might be interesting to combine your work with the work for doing extra-wide FFTs that was done on PowerSDR since CUDA should give you the extra processing grunt.

Jeremy,
yes, I was thinking about that too, especially for the wideband data
which are provided by Mercury/Ozy. Unfortunately I can run only one
kernel on a Cuda device at a time. Running concurrent kernels on the
GPU, moreover, started from different CPU threads, will eventually be
one of the future features of Cuda, which is also a feature of future
Nvidia hardware only (at least not a feature of Nvidia compute
capabiltiy 1.1, which my graphics adapter, which is the G92, belongs
to). So in the moment we only can run either DSPCuda or some
extra-wide FFTs for displaying data.

But this is what I want to do next. In the view of the upcoming OzyII
with fast ethernet it may well be, that using Cuda for computing and
displaying the data makes more sense than trying to do all the DSP on
the GPU.

What I see now is, that you definitely can get some CPU resource
relief, despite the overhead doing parallel computations on the GPU.

Vy 73,
Hermann

DL3HVH