[hpsdr] HERMES schedule question

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Sat Jun 19 15:21:59 PDT 2010

Alberto:

It is a matter of the software in the Mercury FPGA.  You can take the
data out at 384 ksps
or 768 ksps or 1536 ksps or whatever, provided that you have the
transport bandwidth
to get the data out of the board and up to the PC.

Nothing comes for free, and it is hard to fool Mother Nature, so this
reduces the decimation
ratio and there are side effects involving loss of sensitivity and
dynamic range, but that would
not likely be an issue in the broadcast band, where the atmospheric
noise floor is so high.

192 ksps is a compromise between receiver dynamic range, sensitivity,
dsp buffer sizes and
latency, and the width of the panadaptor display.  It is currently
optimized for reasonable
sensitivity in the ham bands up through 10 Meters.

I hope you have better programs on the 540 to1600 kHz broadcast band in
Europe than
here in the United States.  I cannot imagine wasting the disk space to
record the AM
Broadcast band here in the US, much less wasting the time to listen to
it another time.

--- Graham / KE9H

==