[hpsdr] Intel's benchmark: GPU vs. CPU

Charles Brain chbrain at btinternet.com
Fri Jun 25 05:32:04 PDT 2010

All though this is totally unscientific and I have only just got it going.

I replaced the 16 bit MMX FFT code in my DVB-T
transmitter software (for the USRP2). With the CUFFT library running on
an  NVIDIA GTX 465 GPU, it has made virtually no difference
to my overall CPU loading. I suspect the overhead of reading and writing
to the GPU device outweighs the benefits of using it and just doing the FFT
on the board is an unfair comparison.

But as I said I have only just got it going after wasting most of
the morning finding that you have to create the plan and call cufft
from the same process thread. Yes I did read something along those
lines here a few days ago! (I was having one of my many stupid moments).

- Charles G4GUO

http://www.g4guo.blogspot.com/