[hpsdr] IC wanted: ULN2003A open collector array

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Tue Mar 30 11:01:56 PDT 2010

Ron Cox, W9KFB, and my self are both looking this IC for Penelope to replace
defective ones.  (don't ask)  The usual suppliers, Allied, Mouser, and
DigiKey, are all out of stock.  The IC is the open collector driver for the
DB-25 output pins on Penelope, a ULN2003A is specified as the open collector
array.  This IC is the tiny 16 pin SOIC that is located physically adjacent
to the DB-25 connector on the Penelope board.

Does anyone have a few of these IC's  for sale, or know of a supplier who
might have some in stock?

Would anyone know if it would be possible to substitute the ULN2004A, for
the ULN2003A?  The ULN2004A is specified to link directly with CMOS devices
that supply 6 to 15 volts.  Is there enough drive from our 5 volt bus to
make the ULN2004A change state?

I'm leaving town for Easter, but Ron will be watching the reflector.  Any
help is appreciated.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7FU