[hpsdr] Passed the smoke test

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Tue Mar 16 18:53:09 PDT 2010

      I read up on
> the DJ8AY TR switch but was wondering whether other home-brew techniques
> were being used while waiting for alex, or, are people just
> using separate antennas for  TX and TX.

I'm using a 50c relay operated from the open drain FET on Penny.

> I notice people are using duplex using the KK (which I have not had chance
> to install yet).   How are you connecting the antenna and protect the
> receive input?

The relay I'm using has sufficient isolation to enable full duplex
operation at 100w.  I have also used separate Tx and Rx antennas - if you
keep the Rx signal level below the point that the ADC overload does not
light in KK then you will be fine.

> I am getting ready to build pennywhistle here and  I assume I need to wait
> for alex before using the pennywhistle.   I am wondering however if the
> pennywhistle or higher power amp can used while in this duplex mode?

Yes, I use 100w without any problems.

> There
> does not seem to be much info on how Alex will work with break-in keying
> so
> I am also wondering whether this was tested and how it will work.

The TR relay on Alex was chosen to work full break-in, I've tested it and
it works fine.

73's Phil...VK6APH