[hpsdr] Pennywhistle completed at last

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Mar 20 20:39:20 PDT 2010

Hi Chris,

John's suggestion is the correct way to set the gain since we don't have any
feedback from the PA we can't automate the process for now.  Once Alex is
available we can close the loop.

If your PA strip requires little drive  then you may want to fit an
attenuator between the output of Penny and the input of your PA.  It's best
to run Penny at say 200mW minimum since otherwise you degrade your Tx S/N
ratio.

We found a way to improve this and Hermes (and PennyLane) uses the full 14
bits of the output DAC at any power level.

73's Phil...VK6APH