[hpsdr] Pennywhistle completed at last

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Sat Mar 20 23:07:26 PDT 2010

Hi John & Phil

I've spent a rather sleepless night thinking about this problem and have
fired up the computer early (0500) to see what has been said.

Thanks for your valuable input. While lying awake I realised a) that the
o/p transformer misconfiguration loss is 2dB not the figure I originally
quoted and b) I was worried that Penelope would be only using a few bits
of the D/A to produce full output. I have to admit that I hadn't thought
of this in terms of a degradation in S/N ratio.

I reckon the easiest, long-term solution is to make use of the input
attenuator pads on Pennywhistle and seriously under-run it. I only need
50mW at the input of PW for 100W out of the AN762. So I calculate that I
need an 8dB attenuator and leave the o/p transformer alone or a 10dB
attenuator and correct the o/p transformer. This way Penelope will be
pushing out  in the region of 300+ mW and I've got some head-room in the
amplifier chain.

Now where was that posting regarding the input attenuator ...

Many thanks again.

73

Chris
G4NUX