[hpsdr] "Fists of Fourier: SDR explained" parts I and II

Ronald Cox w9kfb1 at mac.com
Sun Mar 21 07:11:04 PDT 2010

Ken,
I have looked over the LPC5 info and have built up the full HPSDR system in a Pandora box using the antenna switch. I would point out the following:

The antenna switch will handle 100 Watts, the LPC5 is rated for 5 Watts. I have my antenna switch installed so that it only sees the penelope by putting Hercules on the output of the switch and running the received signals through Hercules to use the lowpass filters that exist there (this is a Hercules option). Hercules is switched off on receive, so there is no adverse effect by doing this. If you plan to use Hercules as your power amplifier, the antenna switch is the part to use. I do not see the value of the LPC5's Low pass filtering if you plan to use Alex or Hercules. If you are planning to use the Genesis SDR QRP kit, the LPC5 would be the part to use.

Ron W9KFB
Indianapolis