[hpsdr] gif comparisons of old and new HPSDR PowerSDR waterfalls on 3456 MHz weak signal

w3sz 73w3sz at gmail.com
Sun May 2 12:43:37 PDT 2010

Hello, All,

I was able to get out to my microwave site and make some comparison gifs
of the old and new PowerSDR waterfalls [both fully zoomed and at maximal
display bandwidth], and to compare them to Linrad.

I posted them so folks can see the difference between 'old' and 'new'.

There is quite a difference between the old and new PowerSDR waterfalls
for this weak signal which was 5-8 dB out of the noise on peaks.

The weak signal of interest, from a weak signal source on 3456.041, is
at approximately 3456.041 on the PowerSDR displays, and at 41000 on the
Linrad display [the center of the Linrad display is at 50000, so it is
just below the center of the Linrad display.

original PowerSDR fully zoomed:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/originalPowerSDR3456weaksignal.GIF

modified PowerSDR fully zoomed:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/newPowerSDR3456weaksignalnar.GIF

original PowerSDR maximal bandscope width:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/originalPowerSDR3456weaksignalwide.GIF

modified PowerSDR maximal bandscope width:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/newPowerSDR3456weaksignalwide.GIF

Linrad bandscope:
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz/linrad3456weaksignal.gif

The signal levels in dB are not consistent across PowerSDR instances
because I was also trying to recalibrate the PowerSDR settings for
signal level today using an 8640B.  Those differences do not affect the
PanAdapter or the Waterfall displays.

73,

Roger Rehr W3SZ