[hpsdr] Lack of Software Programmers

lstoskopf at cox.net lstoskopf at cox.net
Mon May 10 19:54:57 PDT 2010

As I eased into retirement I thought I would tackle a variant of C and try to contribute.  Not sure if it is being 70 or original lack of talent, but Basic, Fortran, and Forth that I learned 35 or so years ago seemed much easier.  Cathy Moss jumped into the QS1R project so quickly and with such a woman's touch to the beauty of the GUI and in such detail that I once suspected that Cathy was really a play on Cathay and we had been joined by a large Chinese group!  Not to play down the work of the SDR/HPSDR programmers, but her loss took a certain flair from the GUI in QS1R.

Some time ago I gave a (descriptive) talk on stochastic resonance with weak signals which greatly exceeded my math knowledge.  I recently revisited the literature and discovered that for linear systems and gaussian noise the gain was always less than one.  Works in biologic systems and oceans, so nothing to add there.

I'm willing to bet that arrival of Hermes is going to attract a few new fingers typing.  The work so far is really great, but the more minds the better.  Thanks all,  N0UU