[hpsdr] Looking for guidance

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Tue Nov 9 17:20:36 PST 2010

G'day,

Having followed the HPSDR on and off for some time, I've decided to give it a
crack. My current dilemma is of not knowing which path to take.

My initial idea was to start with Atlas, LPU, Metis, Mecury and to build a
nice enclosure. Then Hermes captured my interest, which I believe is a
standalone PCB and doesn't require a Atlas backplane. Please correct me if
this isn't true. I also like the idea of using Gigabit Ethernet as an
interface. But how long before we see Hermes become available for beta-tester
and to the general public?

What are my options to get me off the ground? The project appears to be split
into individual projects and with many of the modules no longer available, it
makes it difficult to build up a complete system. It surely must be confusing
to the uninitiated. The system I envisage is state of art, scalable and
capable of keeping up with new developments. So I suspect Atlas is here to
stay.

My interest is in digital communications on HF, including 2200m and 600m
bands, VHF, UHF and SHF. I'm familiar with RF and software engineering as part
of my profession and hence don't mind in doing some work. I also have been
dabbling with the USRP and GNU Radio.

Your guidance will be very much appreciated.

73, Berndt
VK5ABN