[hpsdr] Penelope Power Problem

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Mon Nov 22 12:48:54 PST 2010

Sorry to bother people, but Penelope suddenly dropped power output from the
nominal 500mW to about 220mW.  This happened following a demonstration at
the local ham club meeting.  Additional observations are that only 4 of the
5 LED's will light with maximum drive, and at the 220mW level, Penelope
outputs picket fence IMD spurs every 2 KHz @-30dBc and down.  Reducing the
drive through the PA Settings, Gain by Band menu, from "38" to"39" maintains
the same nominal 220mW output, but the IMD spurs disappear.

Does anyone have a diagnosis?

The 1/2 power output and IMD observation suggests to me that part of the
output amplifier, OPA26741 IC, has failed.  I cannot explain the fact that
only 4, instead of 5, LEDs will light with maximum drive.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Regards,
John Petrich, W7FU