[hpsdr] Looking for guidance

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Thu Nov 11 02:51:43 PST 2010

>> * Will Metis allow for full remote operation of RX and TX?
>
> It's as remote as gigabit ethernet gets you.  Right now Metis only works
> on a local segment, and does not route anything through a router.  This
> doesn't necessarily have to be true, but consider that the data rate from
> Metis can be immense.  Technically speaking, though, since it's standard
> gigabit ethernet, you could use a fiber optic media converter and run
> Metis as far away as the fiber could reach.  If you wanted to pay the
> thousands of dollars for ZX optics, you could place Metis at the end of a
> 70km link.

I can operate my HPSDR boards using Metis over my home network from a
different room without any issues.

One possibility for the future is that Greg, ZL3IX, has modified the Mercury
code to include the filtering and demodulation for a complete receiver.  He
uses this, via an FM VHF link, for his remote 160m receiving site.   If we
used such code with Metis then you would have a receiver that could run at
say 8ksps and would be suitable for use over a slower speed
network/Internet.  We could do something similar for Penelope.

I'm sure other options will become available as Metis gets into hands of
more experimenters.  I know that John, G0ORX, has some exciting plans for
his client/server ghpsdr3 code on Metis.

73 Phil...VK6APH