[hpsdr] Beagleboard + Tin Can Tools Trainer board for SDR?

Selmeczi János jani.ha5ft at freemail.hu
Mon Nov 22 00:09:48 PST 2010

Hi Mike,

You could do some SDR development with the beagleboard. The simplest hardware configuration is a Softrock analog down converter and the beaglebord. In this case you use the beagleboard's audio codec for digitizing the I/Q output of the Softrock.
Alternatice configuration could be the HPSDR hardware (Mercury + Penelope + Ozy + Atlas) and the beagleboard. In this case you get the digitized I/Q samples from the hpsdr hardware to the beagleboard using one of the board's usb port.
On the software side you could develop software for the beagleboard using TI's DVSDK 4.0 GA development kit and the CodeSourcery ARM cross compiler. These development softwares currently run under ubuntu 10.04 (according to TI). The kit contains everything you need to develop software for the dsp core. Until now it was a farly complicated thing to get signal processing blocks running on the dsp. It has involved several TI software components (DSP/BIOS, DSP-LINK on the ARM and the DSP side,....). Right now its just a matter to define in which care you would like to run the signal processing routine. There is one major roadblock however. Most of the currently available sdr algorithm are implemented using floating point arithmetic. (all of the software related to the HPSDR hardware has been written this way). For the beagleboard you need to develop fixed point algorithms. It is possible to do it, but it takes time. Maybe you cab get som ideas in this respect from the dsPIC communities. They are using processors with fixpoint dsp capabilities.

73,

Jani, HA5FT

  Mike Luckham <sunrise at sunsys.net>, ezt írta:

------------------------------

      I'm new to SDR but interested in exploring - could the Beagleboard + the Tin
Can Tools Trainer board
(http://www.tincantools.com/product.php?productid=16149) be used as a means
of interfacing an antenna or preamp to the Beagleboard?  If so, how could
the Beagleboard's DSP be used for programming?  What Tapr boards would be
relevant?

Mike Luckham

*HTML levéltartalom

HPSDR Discussion List