[hpsdr] reducing computer radiated emissions

ct1izu ct1izu at sapo.pt
Tue Nov 30 07:37:56 PST 2010

There are a number of sources for unwanted emissions in an HPSDR set. It
gets complicated as everybody has a different physical layout.

The first line of defence is to have the Atlas Back Plane with OZY MERC and
PEN in an enclosure with Tube Ferrites of 43 or similar material on ALL
leads out of the enclosure.
ALL also  means the MIC and Headphone leads which will often run parallel
with the Mouse cable in a typical system  ----yes been there----  and even
the coax leads whose braids will bring in unwonted signals.

Next make sure the SMPSU in the computer is clean. Paying top dollar for a
supply does not guarantee that its any better than a cheap unit. Lift the
lid and check the PCB is fully populated. Many times you will find wire
links across where input filters should be. Adding in the missing items is
pretty simple using  one of the internet guides. You also need to add some
1N and 10NF SMD caps between the ground output connection area and the
various psu voltage  output line connection area. It may be necessary to use
discrete caps on some of the traces if the span is too large. If possible
also remove any unused  harness wire external to the supply to help  reduce
radiation.

You might want to examine is you have the correct feed point for the OCD,
the pattern can be pretty awful with pick up from the least desirble
direction if you get it wrong!!

Shel CT1IZU