[hpsdr] Alex and Metis Status

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Fri Oct 22 02:01:24 PDT 2010

Dear all,

We all heard the stories about the troubles with the toroids and the
winding of the toroids. As far as I can see (but I do not have insight
in the production department!) the only investment up till now has been
the toroids.

This means the money involved for TAPR is still reasonable. According to
me the big problem with Alex is the high price. If one would buy the
complete set of filters (Tx and Rx) the price would be 463USD or 508USD
excluding the case. (For non-us people, another another 150 USD has to
be added for taxes!)

Due to the economic climate at this moment, I can imagine that a lot of
people are reluctant of making such an investment.

At this moment I have all the necessary relays, and I'm awaiting for the
gerbers to be available, so I can produce the PCB myself. This will save
me a lot of money. I can imagine others have a source of other parts,
and want to build their own Alex . The Alex boards is also one of the
boards which could be assembled and debugged pretty easy.

A lot of money could be saved by the builders of HPSDR by offering Alex
as a kit, but now with prewound toroids! ;-) So my suggestion: Add an
extra column to the interest list with Alex as a partial kit, PCB and
toroids.

73 Jeroen PE1RGE