[hpsdr] OzyII<> Metis

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat Sep 4 04:18:48 PDT 2010

Hi Maximo,

Well here are the main advantages:

-     No USB drivers needed, Metis will use the native Ethernet drivers of the OS being used
-     Very fast data transfer to/from the PC.  At 1Gigabit I've measured 936Mbps from Metis to the PC. Mind you  my Ethernet Switch         and        PC threw up their hands at that speed.  But in the future who knows how fast our PCs will be.
-    no USB drivers needed.
-    Lots of room in the FPGA for interesting future developments.  We are only using about 18% of the 40,000 LEs in the FPGA.  This leaves plenty of room to add a soft core uP, multiple receivers  etc.
-    Assuming your home network is fast enough you can access your HPSDR radio from anywhere on the network - and via WiFi, wirelessly.
    At 192kHz sampling rate I can access Metis anywhere on my home network.
-    no USB drivers needed.
-   Enough spare room in the FPGA to do a complete transceiver e.g. all filtering, AGC, NR and demodulation so that the audio could be down to 8ksps.  That way you have a 'networked' transceiver that could be accessed remotely over the Internet.

Oh, and did I mention, no USB drivers needed.

73 Phil...VK6APH