[hpsdr] [OT] looking for Windows-7 Home Basic

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Sep 14 18:24:03 PDT 2010

What software do you need to run?

What you should do is get a copy of Linux, Ubuntu would be
fine.  Then get "Wine".  Both are free.  Most Windows software
will run under Wine.

If $100 is to much to pay for an operating system, Windows is not
what you need.  Prices of old copies of Win XP are going up and getting
hard to find too.

My brother was looking for and old Win XP system to drive a 20 year old plotter
where the last driver written was for XP.   I told him the same thing
just don't bother.  Even if he found a new Win XP Cd it likey would not run
on any new PC as the new PC would have graphics chips or something
XP did not support.

And it's hard to argue with "free".   The price is right.

On Tue, Sep 14, 2010 at 5:56 PM, Ken N9VV <n9vv at wowway.com> wrote:

> Hi, I am not having any luck finding a bargain
> copy of Windows-7 Home Basic edition. They are
> all around $100 - which is too steep for my
> small Ham budget.
>
> Any suggestions please?
> mny tnx,
> 73 de Ken N9VV