[hpsdr] Packet Length and Fragmentation

andrea montefusco andrea.montefusco at gmail.com
Tue Sep 21 06:49:41 PDT 2010

On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 2:05 PM, Thierbach, Ed <ethierba at umich.edu> wrote:

> Hi, Jeremy -- what happens in the case where 2 systems on the same network segment are set to different MTUs?  Will they simply not communicate?
>
> For example, if I have 2 Linux machines, and on one I issue 'ifconfig eth0 mtu 750' and on the other 'ifconfig eth0 mtu 1500', will the receiving PC just generate RX errors and discard the packets?

I think that, whilst you can do that, the working is not guaranteed
because the MTU on the same physical medium all the stations have to
be configured with  the same MTU, by definition.
Anyway, IMO, the two machines could be able to communicate, at least
in TCP where there is a Path MTU discovery procedure in place (the ARP
 would work because it is not a L3 protocol and its frames are shorter
than 750 octets).

  *am*

--
Andrea Montefusco IW0HDV