[hpsdr] PowerSDR Wish List

Berndt Josef Wulf wulf at ping.net.au
Sat Apr 2 20:43:20 PDT 2011

G'day,

after using PowerSDR and GHPSDR for  several weeks I came up with the
following wish list:

* Enable TX on 2200m and 600m bands
========================
Many countries permit operation in these bands whilst others, like myself,
have experimenter's licenses. I would like to go as far as to suggest to
remove any restrictions in order to enable users to utilize the HPSDR as a
signal generator.

* AGC-Off
======
Some radio astronomical spectral observations require the AGC to be turned
off.  Whilst this is a standard feature on many premium receivers, it appears
to be missing on HPSDR.

* Enable tuning down to DC
=================
PowerSDR only tunes down to 9kHz. I'm intending to monitor and capture
spectrum below 9kHz to monitor whistlers mode chorus on ELF and VLF
frequencies. I'm currently monitoring the Russian alpha stations in the
frequency spectrum of 9-15kHz - see
http://www.ping.net.au/index.php?mode=grabber

* Standalane GHPSDR application
=====================
I like the old GHPSDR application, which unfortunately doesn't support the
Metis interface. A server is useful in cases of multiple client connections or
to for remote access to systems using Ozy etc. Perhaps a solution may be to
provide an option to either connect to a server or to Metis?

* Diveristy Reception
Just an idea rather than suggestion. It occurred to me that it should be
possible to use a functionality similar to the diversity reception for
direction finding. It sort of is possible now, but a compass display ak ADF
would be a cool addition... ;-)

73, Berndt
VK5ABN