[hpsdr] Excalibur

wully wully at bluewin.ch
Mon Apr 18 12:30:57 PDT 2011

Hi all

A topic which I have not seen recently in the reflector:
Today, I have completed the assembly of the Excalibur (call it Ec) kit.
When putting in the Ec into Atlas, both mercuries (one from TAPR, the
other Mercury-EU from Gerd Loch) show with DEBUGLED 3, that they are
locked with the 10MHz PLL.

But when I have made a QSO today at 7.146000 MHz with a german station,
I had to tune my frequency to 7.146100 MHz to be on a "reasonable"
sounding SSB signal. The other station has claimed, that its frequency
is very good defined at 7.146000 MHz.

So, I tried to check Ec with my DCF77-based 10MHz frequency normal (from
the german magazin "Funkamateur"), this normal is specified to be at the
range of 10e-9 (0.01 Hz at 10MHz) precision, when the Oscillator is
locked to the frequency of the DCF-77.
(This is a very elaborate PLL circuit which compares the phase of the
local oscillator divided to 625Hz with the  77.5 kHz also divided to
625Hz. The phase comparison is done with a time constant of about 1
minute, as soon as the local oscillator is locked, which occurs very
fast (some seconds of reception). So, I expect, that this normal is
really quite precise.

Now feeding this signal into "IN" of Ec, I can not adjust the CXOH20
such, that there is a slow variation between red and green Led, as
described in the Ec-Manual. This sounds reasonable, if the Ec is off by
approx. 100Hz as suggested by the QSO above. But on the other hand, the
CXOH20 is specified at +-10e-6 with a variation of +-3*10e-6 with the
adjusting capacitor, which would vary 40 Hz maximum.

So, either the Ec is not on the frequency or the my DCF-normal is not at
the frequency....

Another experiment shows strange behavior: switching from the TCXO to
the external Source (J2 on Ec), the TAPR-mercury does show the lock on
debugled 3 but the reception frequency is frequency-modulated with a
shift around 100Hz (not measured, just heard...) the FM-frequency is
something around 0.25 to 0.5 second. It looks as if the PLL would loose
the lock and then lock again within this time.

Are there any ideas what could be wrong here?

73, HB9EPU, Alfred