[hpsdr] METIS Problem - direct PC connect

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Wed Apr 20 10:48:52 PDT 2011

Often, one can solve this type of problem by using a small 4 port Ethernet
Switch on the otherwise direct connection.  This allows the PC to have its
ethernet port 'up and running' all the time.  I have found on my computer,
that there can be a delay of up to 1 or 2 minutes before the second ethernet
port on my PC shows up with an IP address (as determined by using IPCONFIG,
running from the command line.)  If you only have a cable direct from the PC
to Metis, the PC port will NOT turn on until the metis is connected in a
powered-up state.

Such simple 4 port ethernet switches (10/100/1000) cost around $25 in the
USA from places like NewEgg.  Mine is a ZyXEL brand unit.

If you use a stand-alone small (4 port) switch instead of the simple cable,
this waiting time will be cut out entirely.  This is an issue on some PCs
that I documented during the Metis beta test process, as it affected me.  My
PC has an Intel I7 CPU (quad-core, 2.8 ghz) on an Asus P7P44D Deluxe
motherboard, with 4gb of ram.

73,
George Byrkit, K9TRV