[hpsdr] HPSDR Signal Overload ( In the digital processing???)

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Apr 6 11:33:07 PDT 2011

Ah, okay; point taken.  However, there is more to this issue than
simply "cancelling the gain" of the LTC6400-20 in this.  Adding an
attenuator in front of the LTC6400-20 absolutely trashes the noise
figure of the receiver, of course.

Indeed, adding a 20 dB attenuator in front of the LTC6400-20 to
"cancel" its gain results in a significantly worse noise figure than a
straight wire connection to the ADC would!  When the attenuator is in
place, the noise figure of the receiver is effectively 20dB, which is
a horrible noise figure.

The only reason I can see to ever insert the attenuator is if you have
such strong signals that you can afford to throw away your hard earned
receiver sensitivity; which, given my inherent weak-signal viewpoint
seems like a terrible idea, hihi!

Anyway, thanks for the clarification, Greg.

73,  Joe K5SO