[hpsdr] HPSDR Signal Overload ( In the digital processing???)

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Wed Apr 6 16:17:31 PDT 2011

Hello Joe!

> ...Thank you for the interesting input.  Whether you would like to
> call the LTC6400-20 a "pre-amp" or, as seems more logical, a
> conventional  "1st RF amplifier stage", is only a matter of semantics
> in any case.
>
> The main point is that if less overall system gain is desired from
> your radio it is better from a noise-figure/performance standpoint to
> introduce attenuation AFTER the first amplifier stage not before it,
> as the system noise figure is dominated by the noise figure of the
> first amplifier stage whether you call that first stage a pre-amp or
> not.  The noise figure of Mercury would be maintained relatively
> constant if the attenuator were introduced after the LTC6400-20
> instead before it.  By introducing the attenuation ahead of the
> amplifier you significantly degrade the noise figure of Mercury,
> unnecessarily.

Perhaps necessarily. The assumption we made was that if you are
encountering signals strong enough to over-range the ADC and require
significant attenuation, the LTC-6400 would saturate and cause IMD if
the attenuator were placed after it but before the ADC.  In a test
version of Mercury we also discovered significant degradation of the
overall system when we attempted to allow simple bypassing of the
LTC-6400.  That might have been due to poor PCB layout on my part.  The
present Mercury configuration with attenuator at the input and using the
LTC-6400 to reduce system noise figure if the Attenuator were switched
out seemd the best compromise at the time we finalized the design.

Mercury is a system component, not a receiver per se.  External bandpass
filtering, gain distribution, and etc should all be part of the receiver
system design into which one incorporates Mercury.

> The users of Mercury should understand what is actually being done in
> the radio when they select "pre-amp ON" and "pre-amp OFF".  The
> current configuration in Mercury is NOT a conventional arrangement in
> which a preamp is actually turned on and off and therefore Mercury
> performs differently than you would expect if you were expecting
> behavior of a conventional radio system that does use a pre-amp and
> turns it on and off.  Weak signal operators using this system at high
> frequencies should be aware of this fact.

Absolutely!

73,

Lyle KK7P