[hpsdr] Further Observations on the PowerSDR Noise Blanking Process

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Tue Apr 19 20:42:41 PDT 2011

There are a number of ways we could improve the Noise Blanker.

Many years ago Collins (I think) offered a noise blanker that picked up
wide band local noise in a quiet part of the low VHF spectrum.

I did some experiments with this idea in the 70's using a 1MHz wide
receiver on about 40MHz. As long as the noise was local and wide band then
it worked really well.

With HPSDR we could implement a 'noise receiver' in the Mercury FPGA and
tune that to a frequency band that has the local noise but no strong
signals.

We could also use a second software receiver in the 192kHz bandwidth that
could be set to a section of the band where there were no strong signals
and the bandwidth could be adjustable. You could perhaps show this 'noise
receiver on the bandscope' to make it easy to move/adjust.

Food for thought.

73 Phil...VK6APH