[hpsdr] Hermes Interest

Mike Monnier w8bac at comcast.net
Sat Aug 6 18:41:49 PDT 2011

Hello All,
I am a fan of Software Defined Radio. I have been watching and waiting for progress with the Hermes project for some time now. I have a few questions.

Will this be offered as a completed board fully populated and ready to hook up to a computer, power supply, and antenna or will this system need to be built by the owner? I think I can build it but this would be my first SMT build. I would rather buy a completed and tested board.

Next question has to do with the transmit power. I am interested in ultimately making the Hermes transceiver into a a clean, 100 watt output radio. I wonder if any plans are in the works to pair the Hermes driver with a power amp of equal high quality specifications. Would it be possible to use an SDR-1000 PA and antenna tuner paired with Hermes?

Where should I be watching for the first release of Hermes to the public?

The last question may seem silly but I want to clear things up a bit. Will the Hermes require a backplane for integrity with other needed boards? I assume the Hermes is a stand alone dual diversity receiver set and exciter requiring only DC power, a computer and antenna. Thanks in advance for your consideration and comments.

Best Regards,
Mike
W8BAC