[hpsdr] Low phase noise oscillator question

John Petrich petrich at u.washington.edu
Wed Aug 17 17:25:21 PDT 2011

All,

What do people in the group think about the performance impact of a very low
phase noise oscillator for the 10 MHz clock on both Mercury and PennyLane
signal quality?  Am already using Excalibur.   My question centers around
signal quality and not absolute frequency accuracy.  In theory, a low phase
noise clock should slightly improve the S/N ratio on receive (get those
first couple of bits better settled).  And, in theory, a low phase noise
clock should improve the phase noise pedestal of the transmitted signal from
PennyLane for the same reason.  Am I dreaming?  Is it worth the expense and
trouble?

Any thoughts and recommendations?  All responses appreciated.

John Petrich, W7FU