[hpsdr] N210 Comparison

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Wed Aug 3 06:27:22 PDT 2011

On Aug 2, 2011, at 7:27 PM, Graham / KE9H wrote:

> Harry:
>
> I think Phil and Steve give great advice.
>
> As to Flex...
> If you are not an aspiring software or hardware experimenter, and you want the benefits
> of an SDR architecture for HF amateur radio, or for general coverage HF monitoring,
> you can purchase a Flex radio that is already built, comes with a manufacturer's
> warranty, a software package ready to install on your PC, and
> an 800 number to call for service or assistance.

While I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment, Graham, and I have told many people similar things at different conferences.  That being said, this only applies if you want to run Microsoft Windows.  Flex, as of yet, does not support any native Mac applications.

If you want a receiver only, you have some more choices for Mac heads.  Phil Covington is now supporting a pure Mac installation on his SDRMAX for QS1R.  RFSpace's CuteSdr is also a Qt app and supposedly runs on MacOS X Snow Leopard.  It supports their NetSDR and SDR-IQ boxes.  There's also a program called "DSP Radio" for Softrock type setups.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com