[hpsdr] Hermes Interest

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Sun Aug 7 02:09:58 PDT 2011

On Aug 7, 2011, at 1:12 AM, Phil Harman wrote:

> Whilst Hermes will not work in  diversity mode  there is sufficient spare room in the FPGA (currently about 1/3 full) to add additional independent receivers.  These will all run from the same antenna but, with suitable broadband antennas or couplers,  will enable multiple bands to be monitored simultaneously.

As an aside, since I tend to be a pedantic guy, even before I became an attorney, I have been trying to refer to these by distinct terms:

Software Receiver -- Receiver implemented in the computer SDR code after receiving samples from the OpenHPSDR box.  For example the main and sub receivers in PowerSDR today.

Firmware Receiver -- Receiver implemented in FPGA code.  For example the multiple receivers in the FPGA that John Melton is using for the GHPSDR project.

Hardware Receiver -- Receiver implemented with an additional ADC and additional signal path.  For example what Joe Martin's (K5SO) diversity code uses to operate.

This makes it a little clearer what we're talking about with "multiple receivers."  Hermes will support either multiple software or multiple firmware receivers, but not multiple hardware receivers.  Atlas will support multiples of all three kinds of receivers.  This terminology could also be reciprocal to refer to transmitters as well.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com