[hpsdr] Distorted audio

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Wed Aug 10 00:06:17 PDT 2011

Hi Jeremy

I was being rather lazy with my language re phase lock. You are correct that the LEDs simply indicate the difference between the external input and the internal oscillator. I had been used to seeing the LEDs change colour very slowly indicating that the internal oscillator was very close in frequency to the external Thunderbolt reference. Now both LEDs appear to be on (actually switching colour at a frequency too high for my eyes to differentiate).

I tried moving the jumper on Excalibur so that the internal oscillator was used but that didn't alter the distortion.

I will try your suggestion of removing Excalibur and configuring PSDR to select 10MHz from Mercury later this morning. If that cures the problem have you any recommendations as to where to start looking on Excalibur? The only common signal path involves U2 and the 3v3 regulator which supplies it. The o/p from the BNC socket at 1V RMS looked clean on an old 'scope but the timebase only goes to 0.5uS per div.

I'll check all the regulators while I'm at it.

Thanks.

73 Chris G4NUX