[hpsdr] Ubuntu 10.04 and ghpsdr3

Erich Heinzle vk5hse at yahoo.com
Sun Dec 4 04:09:20 PST 2011

Many thanks to Andrea Montefusco's prompt advice, which got me on the right track.

The trick is to install ghpsdr3 as described:

use the ppa from sudo add-apt-repository

ppa:andrew-montefusco/ghpsdr3

sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get install ghpsdr3

which installs ghpsdr3

then, from the command line, both dspserver and hpsdr-server need to be launched

QtRadio can then be fired up. I had to select "Receiver -> Configure -> Server -> Receiver 0"

I could then go to "Receiver -> Connect"

At which point the panadaptor and waterfall came alive on my 1.6GHz netbook with 1GB of RAM, and audio came forth.

Not satisfied with the USB extension lead running from the bedroom to the study housing the HPSDR, I thought I'd try John Melton's android HPSDR app from the Acer iconia A500 tablet computer over the wireless network.

I turned off QtRadio on the netbook but left dspserver and hpsdr-server running.

I fired up John Melton's android app on the tablet computer and aimed it at the Netbook's IP address over the wireless network.

I picked Receiver 0, and bingo, audio was coming from the tablet computer and the spectrum scope came up.

This is truly excitingstuff!!!! An HPSDR user can sit in the lounge with a tablet computer, or in the back yard, and listen to the bands.

I take my hat off to John Melton,Andrea Montefusco, Phil Harman and all the others who have contributed to the software and hardware.

This distributed, network based, client-server model rocks!

Erich Heinzle
VK5HSE