[hpsdr] PennyLane CW Transmission Configuration

Mark Leone midnightjava at verizon.net
Tue Dec 20 23:09:23 PST 2011

I'm having trouble figuring out how to make PennyLane transmit CW. I
have no mic connected, and I removed the PTT, Bias, and AUD jumpers from
PennyLane. I have a straight key and a set of paddles which I hook up in
turn to the DB-9 on Metis. The straight key connects pin 5 to pin 6 when
keyed (with Iambic de-selected on the keyer screen), and with the
paddles I connect the Dash terminal to pin 6, the Dot terminal to pin 7,
and the common terminal to pin 5. I tested the cable with a multi-meter
and it's wired as stated, with no shorts.

If I un-check "Disable PTT" on the General/Options setup screen,
PennyLane immediately starts transmitting, either a continuous tone or a
string of dits, depending on whether I have the key or paddles
connected. If I check "Disable PTT" and de-select MOX on the PowerSDR
display, then the transmitting stops, but then nothing happens when I
close the key. I select MOX and the rig goes into transmit mode, but
nothing actually gets transmitted. On the other hand, if I select MOX
and then activate one of the stored messages in the CW Memories screen,
the message is transmitted.

I'm using the W5WC PowerSDR 2.2.3. The manual for Penelopy mentions a
firmware bug wherein Penny always transmits. I figured that has been
fixed by now, but I tried nevertheless the remedy suggested, which is to
launch PowerSDR with the argument --ignore-pp-ptt. I don't see any
change in the title bar when I do this (which the documentation says
will occur with this program argument), and there is no different behavior.

I tried turning VOX on and off, and virtually every other PowerSDR
setting that seems remotely relevant, all to no avail. I guess I've got
something configured wrong somewhere; and hopefully someone can help me
figure out what that is.

Mark - K4XML