[hpsdr] picoPSU-120-WI-25

Mike F mikecf100 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 28 16:25:46 PST 2011

Of the picoPSU supplies, the picoPSU-120-WI-25 is the one most
compatable with HPSDR and existing ham gear because it will operate at
the automobile voltages.  My question is: has anyone investigated the
performance of this unit to determine:

1) is there any noise created by the switching supplies that might
degrade the receive performance?

2) what is the actual minimum input voltage where the unit will work at
our loads.  Unfortunately, if this unit were being used from a car 12
volt system, it is a sure thing that the voltage will drop below 12
volts occasionally (i.e. starting).  It would be nice if HPSDR continues
to operate without stress during those events.

I presently have my HPSDR system (Mercury, Penelope, Metis) packaged in
an external drive case that I bought at a local pc recycle place.  I use
the supply that was originally in the drive case, and don't seem to have
problems with the switching supply.  In actuality I haven't done a
careful evaluation, but there is nothing obvious.

Mike, K7SR