[hpsdr] Successful HPSDRProgrammer use

george byrkit ghbyrkit at chartermi.net
Fri Dec 30 11:15:24 PST 2011

I was just able to use HPSDRProgrammer.exe on Windows XP to successfully
update 2 full sets of Metis, Mercury and Penelope/PennyLane (one each
Penelope and PennyLane) to the latest firmware.  The instructions followed
were at the end (pg 16-19) of the Metis User Manual rev 1.2.

All the current firmware and the HPSDRProgrammer exe package were downloaded
fresh today.

I was then able to begin playing with Warren Pratt (NR0V)'s new AGC code in
a limited release for testing of an updated W5WC version of PowerSDR.  Once
I get some more experience with this (it works VERY well!), I'll work with
Warren and Phil to port this to the KISS 'Unified' version.

If you wonder what the difference between KISS USB, KISS Ethernet and KISS
'Unified' is, KISS 'Unified' works with EITHER Ozy or Metis (you don't need
the separate vesions any longer...) AND KISS 'Unified' supports Alex.  Phil
has done a fair bit of testing on KISS Unified, but other projects (like
Hermes, which many are waiting for) have kept KISS Unified from getting the
testing yet that we would like.

Happy New Year to all!  Hope to work you on some band or another.  Most
likely I'll be using my K3 because I haven't really gotten the TX side of
the HPSDR rigs fully integrated and working.  That will be a project that I
do hope to complete soon.  One of my rigs has one of Gerd's Hercules amps,
the other has just a PennyWhistle.  I look forward to Hermes/Apollo coming
out soon, as well as the other power amps that are being worked on.  The ATU
in Apollo will be a wonderful thing.  I hope that other power amps that are
being worked on have ATUs built in as well!

73,
George K9TRV