[hpsdr] Firmware Version Confusion

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Thu Dec 22 05:12:32 PST 2011

Mike,

1)  The answer to your question about how to determine which firmware
set is required for each app is that such information should, and
normally is, specified by the developer in the release notes for the
app, or (in my particular case) in obvious notices that are present on
the download page for the app.

2)  I agree that the dynamic nature of this HPSDR experimenter's
project does sometimes result in rather confusing sets of software and
firmware being available as various "official" and "un-official" HPSDR
projects are being developed, as you noted in your message.

It is a challenge for developers and users alike to keep abreast of
changes in software and firmware as they occur.  Sometimes, during the
development of specialized capabilities for the HPSDR board set, it is
convenient for a developer to modify the "official" set of firmware in
order to accommodate the new capabilities of a project.  The approach
I have taken with exploring coherent multiple Mercury board operations
when I run into situations in which the current "official" firmware
set is inappropriate for my project is to create a temporary, modified
set of firmware for the project to allow its development without
affecting the status of the "official" HPSDR firmware set and assign a
new version number to it.

Usually, when I do this I intentionally make the version numbers for
the temporary firmware dramatically different from the current HPSDR
firmware version numbers so that the user of the temporary firmware
set will realize when using it that this firmware is in some way quite
different from the current "official" HPSDR firmware set and may or
may not be compatible with existing programs that use the current
official HPSDR firmware.  Later, if it is possible, I endeavor to work
with other developers to try to incorporate the firmware changes into
a new official firmware set that is compatible with the software of
all the present software for HPSDR.  This is exactly what has occurred
with the firmware versions you reference; namely Metis v6.7 and Mecury
v6.7.  These "test" firmware versions have been superseded by the
current "official" HPSDR firmware set

Metis v1.6
Ozy v2.1
Mercury v3.1
Penelope/PennyLane v1.6

The current "official" firmware set noted above accommodates the
changes that I found to be necessary for coherent multiple Mercury
board operations in a way that is, we think, compatible with earlier
software programs that use single Mercury receivers and multiple
receivers on a single Mercury board.  This is true, except for being
compatible with Doug W5WC's very latest "multiple receiver" version of
PowerSDR in which independent frequency and independent control of
"pre-amp" on multiple Mercury boards is needed.  There is a new
firmware set that is being developed to accommodate those new
requirements, so it won't be long before the "official" firmware set
is once again changed from what I note above.  This continuous
changing of firmware and software is simply a reflection of the fact
that the HPSDR project as a whole continues to be dynamic and alive,
as was intended from its outset, of course.  If you can think of a way
to make the process less confusing please feel free to suggest it!

73,  Joe K5SO