[hpsdr] Clean RF linear amplifier for <100mW to 100W

h-hartfuss at t-online.de h-hartfuss at t-online.de
Sun Feb 20 23:57:03 PST 2011

Tom,
I am using behind Penelope a CCI kit with two MRF433 as a driver stage
to maximal 8 W in class A (bias current 3 A) with IMD3 better than -50
dB
overall at 7 MHz.
I am just measuring in detail a next stage following
with two MRF429 (50 V), that's a CCI kit as well (AN-758).
If run in class A with 8 A quiescent current it delivers up to 100 W
with IMD3 a little less than 50 dB
below one of the test tones (clearly better than 50 dB at your envisaged
30 W).

Since 400 W of steady state power must be dissipated in
this mode of operation I have water cooled the transistors by using a
computer processor cooling system.

I am just busy measuring all specifications in detail, that's IMD3 as
function of power at all bands.
I will send a paper on it to Stan for publication in the next PSR, the
TAPR quarterly newsletter.

Best 73, Hans, DL2MDQ.