[hpsdr] Strange AGC Behavior PowerSDR 1.19.3.2, W5WC

James ( Pete) Gaddie gaddie at pacbell.net
Thu Jan 13 14:09:03 PST 2011

I recently installed Power SDR, W5WC Version 1.19.3.2, Date: 12-31-10.
It is used with a 3 board combination, Ozzie, Mercury and Penelope.  The
computer uses an Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 2GB RAM.

In listening to on the air SSB signals I am noticing some audio
distortion and non ideal AGC behavior compared to listening to the same
signal on an analog receiver.  The AGC performance is better than the
previous version but on my system it still leaves a lot to be desired.

In an effort to see what is happening I ran some test with stepped level
CW signals injected into Mercury.  The test setup consist of a
synthesized signal generator with HP 3555B (10dB) and HP 3555C (1dB)
step attenuators for level stepping. The audio output level of the
Mercury board was monitored on a Tektronix Oscilloscope.

These test was done on Upper-Sideband with the signal generator offset
to produce selected tone frequencies of 100Hz to 1 KHz.  The receivers
AGC-T was set to 90, AGC to Fast, BW 2.4kHz, AGC, AGC Slope 0.0, and
Hang Threshold at two divisions to the right.  At these settings the AGC
threshold is at about -100dBm.

The synthesizer was set for an audio tone frequency of 200Hz. If we
start at -106dBm and step upward in 10dB steps to -16dBm, at levels
above the AGC threshold the audio output level remains constant as it
should.  Now we step downward in 10 dB steps from -16dBm.  On the first
-10dB step the audio level drops by 6dB and hangs at that level for
ever.  On the next -10 dB step the audio output jumps back up to full
level where it should be.  We step down two more steps to -56dBm and the
audio level again drops and hangs 6dB below where it should be.  Down
one more step, to -66dBm and it jumps back to where it should be.
Continuing on down to -96dBm the audio level is maintained at
approximately the correct level.  At higher audio tone frequencies the
above behavior varies a bit.  As the signal level is stepped the Power
SDR S-meter always indicates the correct level.

If you set the AGC Hang Threshold to zero (fully left) the audio output
does not exhibit the above behavior.  At any setting other than zero it
exhibits this behavior.

Next I did a test of the AGC slope control.  With the Slope Control set
6 dB, I stepped the signal from below threshold to -16dbm while
monitoring the audio output level.  Above AGC threshold the audio level
stayed constant and did not rise by 6dB as it should.  The slope control
is not working.

I did similar test using PowerSDR-IF Stage Version 1.19.3.5 on a K3 and
LP-Pan and got similar but not exactly the same results.  Perhaps there
are some coding mistakes common to both versions of PowerSDR, not just
the HPSDR version?  It seems unlikely that the above is peculiar only to
my hardware.

I would be interested if others could run these test to determine if
they see a similar behavior.

Thanks, 73

Pete W6XX