[hpsdr] Hera - A new version of KISS

Gordon & Lois Duff glduff at bellsouth.net
Sat Jan 22 14:14:29 PST 2011

I have revised the version of KISS in the KA2NLM branch of the svn.  I have
renamed it "Hera" for the goddess of marriage as it marries the radio to the
PC and the person to the PC.  KISS seemed a misnomer at this stage because
is not really a simple program any longer.  However the contributors to KISS
can take full credit for Hera.

Here are some highlights on how Hera differs from KISS operationally:

1. Shortwave Listening is supported in addition to Ham use.
2. Spectrum and I/Q graphics appear in separate windows.
3. Left and right audio are controlled separately
4. Main window controls and buttons have been added.  A second "VFO" is
displayed, but not yet enabled.
5. XML files are used to store information on bands, filters, and tuning
speeds.  They can be edited externally to the program.

>From a programmer's perspective:

1. The Form1.cs file is now 21 different files.  Files are around 200-300
lines of code.
2. Code formatting has been modified throughout.  Names of methods and
variables have been "improved" (eye of the beholder, I suspect).
3. Graphics operations reworked to execute independently.  The IQ display
and Full Spectrum scope are now separate classes with their own windows.
4. Main system state variables are serialized and saved as XML files.

Hera is based on VS Express 2010 and .Net 4 Framework.  It has been tested
with Windows 7, Vista and XP (all 32 bit).  I have done very little
transmission testing as I have no amplifier and a poor antenna arrangement.
Finally, I am rusty with my use of svn; hopefully a workable upload is in
place.

Gordon, KA2NLM