[hpsdr] Name clash ?

Dan Babcock n4xwe at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 3 14:36:30 PST 2011

Hi Alberto,

A point of clarification regarding the HPSDR and TAPR relationship.  The
involvement that TAPR has with HPSDR is the occasional manufacturing and
marketing of hardware that is designed and developed by the various HPSDR
project leaders.  HPSDR is not a a part of TAPR.

A quotation from the TAPR web page,

"The goals of TAPR are to:
1) support R&D efforts in the area of amateur digital communications.
2) disseminate information on packet and digital communications.
3) provide affordable and useful kits for experimenters and hobbyists.
4) pursue and help advance the amateur art of communications.
5) support publications, meetings, and standards in the area of amateur digital
communications."

TAPR, in fact, promotes many other radio and electronic interests besides HPSDR.

It is very doubtful that either Wind River Software or PrismTech has or would
undertake the registration of a trademark for "High Performance Software Defined
Radio."  By definition, a trademark typically protects brand names and logos
used on goods and services.  For more information on Trademarks and Trade Names
in the United States please take a look at this link.
http://www.uspto.gov/trademarks/basics/index.jsp

The (Square Waves in Quadrature) HPSDR logo is marked as a trademark with the TM
symbol and is also copyrighted per the Circle C symbol.  Because of the TM
symbol, it is presumed to be a protected trademark.  It does not have the Circle
R symbol, because it is not government registered.

BTW, thank you for the HPSDR interface to your most excellent Winrad program.

73,

Dan N4XWE