[hpsdr] Project proposal – Artemis or Arty for short.

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Tue Jan 25 11:50:13 PST 2011

On Tue, Jan 25, 2011 at 10:39 AM, Kevin Wheatley <kevin.m0khz at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> I think the hub (excuse the pun) here is my inability to program from the PC, zero knowledge of C# or QT4

C# ?? No one suggested running Windows.  That would be a poor choice.
If you are running Linux, BSD or the like the programming is almost
identical to what you'd do with an embedded uP.  I use the same
compiler, editor and programming language on the Linux PC as an on an
Atmel AVR chip.  Of course ports and bits are different
Also you'd never use QT in an system like this either.  QT is use to
create GUI on an attached monitor and you were talking about using web
based GUI.

Yes if the 8 bits in the parallel printer port are not enough you'd
need some kind of IO extender but you can buy those off the shelf rom
a dozen places

Your  project is mostly software and could run on any computer and
then you use a ready made box to control the tuner or antenna rotor.
Or maybe tyou build the box.

You problem is exactly the same as with any remote control HF radio
station.  The fact that it's HPSDR makes no difference once the signal
is outside of the radio.  running a tuner or coax swich is the same.
This is good because your potential user base is much larger and also
because you can look how others have solved the problem