[hpsdr] Regarding the Discussion on the TeamSpeak session on July 16th

Jeremy McDermond mcdermj at xenotropic.com
Tue Jul 19 15:45:52 PDT 2011

On Jul 17, 2011, at 6:45 AM, Hermann wrote:

> There is also some exciting news from Intel: Intel has just released a
> SDK for using OpenCL on their new generation of Sandy Bridge CPUs
> (using their vector processing units). Last week I finished updating
> my Hardware with an Asus P8Z68 and an Intel i7 2600K Quadcore. Now I'm
> playing in the Formula 1 league and I'm thinking seriously about
> OpenCL again, Jeremy!

The interesting thing about OpenCL is that a "compute unit" can be more than just a GPU.  There are "compute units" for standard processors, and Apple actually recommends using them to start out with because it's a whole lot easier to debug.

> It will be interesting to see the competition of Intel's i7 2600K and
> Nvidia's GT200 (of course, it heavily depends on the application), but
> from what I see now it will be hard to defeat the i7 for our
> application. Though it still makes sense I guess to put all the
> computation regarding graphics onto the GPU using OpenGL.

Again, the nice thing is that you can write the exact same OpenCL code for the GPU and CPU and just dispatch it to whatever compute unit you want.  So, you could conceivably have a checkbox in your preferences that says "Use GPU" and decide the appropriate compute units to use.  You can tell what type of unit it is when you enumerate them at program startup.

> I hope I can present some results soon. But first I have to finish the
> ChirpWSPR decoder! I now got some great help from Kurt, DL9SM, which
> has already the Chirp beacon running on his Penelope!

Unfortunately, you're way ahead of me in the GPGPU arena.  As usual, though, I'm looking forward to seeing your future work and continue to be impressed with what you've gotten done.

--
Jeremy McDermond (NH6Z)
Xenotropic Systems
mcdermj at xenotropic.com